chords as quantzier input / note filter

Hi there,

I looking for a solution to quantize generative notes/melodies to specific chords.

I strip it down, first I generate a chord progression with comes from an extern sequencer (MPC or an other sequencer for example in aum). Second I generate random melodies from another sequencer like polyphase or turning machine (mi rack). These notes I want to route thru Drambo to a note filter/quantizer so that the generated notes/melodies only play the note values of the specific chord from the chord progression.

Is there a solution in Drambo to realize this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Try using the CV quantizer module which can be found under Utility.

• edited April 2023

I know that modul, I want to set the notes automatically by chords from an external chord progression.

• I think I made something like this some time ago, but never fully fleshed it out. Here I use note filters to just look for Cs. This triggers a gate, which modulates a morph, which in turn turns the C note in on the Quantizer.

So to extend this you’d need all notes for the full keyboard range, and then a way to lock in our chord notes with a sample and hold.

• Thanks I will try that!

๐Ÿ™

• I have a Mozaic script that does something like that pretty much ready to go if you're interested. You select a channel for the chords, then play in chords from that channel. Notes from all other channels are quantized to the notes of the chord. If no chord is playing then no notes come through.

Someone asked for a script like this over on the Audiobus forum. I just had one remaining question - whether or not the notes should be quantized literally to the octave and note of the chord, or if they should retain the octave they're played in but be quantized to just the note. I think keeping them in the octave they're played in makes the most sense.

[edit] nvm. I'll just add a knob to select the behavior.

I'll update here when the script is on patch storage in case anyone has a use for it.

• @number37 That'd be lovely, thank you!

• edited April 2023

Uploaded: https://patchstorage.com/chord-scale-quantize/

I might have to do some more robust stuck-note management. But in my head at least it seems like it should be enough. ๐Ÿคจ

CHORD/SCALE QUANTIZE v0.1 (beta)

Notes sustained on a control channel set a scale filter. All other notes are quantized to the scale filter. For instance, play a C-E-G chord and any notes played will be forced to C, E, or G. If no notes are sustained on the control channel, all notes are blocked unless PassThru is set. Quantize looks for the nearest note match in semitones. In case of a tie the quantization is upward.

• CTRL Knob sets the channel on which quantizing chords arrive

• QUANTIZE/PASSTHRU Knob can be set to pass notes through 

• Tap the SHIFT button to send a MIDI Panic on all channels (See NOTE)

NOTE: This script assumes proper Note-ON/OFF behavior of what is coming into it. There's only basic stuck note prevention. 

NOTE: Tapping pads does not set notes, only playing notes on the control channel does this. See Simple Scaler on PatchStorage for screen-interactive custom scales.

• @number37 many thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• I made something I call Key Automator that can control the key and chord being played across all the tracks. https://patchstorage.com/key-automator/