Question about logic modules

Hi folks. I'm routing midi from a neighbouring (lower) track and want the target track to trigger when notes are off on the sending track. I thought I could do this with the Logic negative module, but no. I'm confused that the logic modules have audio inputs, but not note inputs.

I'd also like to use XOR logic to process notes coming from two lower tracks (notes trigger only when notes are off on the two input tracks), but I see it's only possible to patch midi in from one lower channel, not two. Anybody know of a workaround? Thanks.

Comments

• What do you mean by "off"?

Note off messages?

Note on messages outside a certain note range?

• Note off.

• recrec
    edited April 2023

1) routing convention in D is left to right and top to bottom, you can go around that by using feedback send/receive modules but it’s probably not worth to add 10ms of additional delay when you can simply rearrange tracks

2) logic modules will accept any signal (0>=false; 0<true) - except MIDI :)

3) you can use Adder or Mixer modules to combine multiple sources for your target track

4) sending your source track Gates through NEG module (after Adder or Mixer) will produce a Gate on your target track - you can disregard the port symbols, they are there for ease of use and the auto connect feature.

• I thought the logic modules would work as follows with midi:

AND triggers a note on when it receives two note simultaneously on on its two imputs.

OR triggers a note on when it receives a note on either of its inputs

NEG triggers a note on when it receives note off,

XOR triggers a note on when there are no note ons on its two imputs.

Basically imitating analog gate on and off.

• recrec
    edited April 2023

The keywords here are ‘imitating analog’, MIDI is digital, so has to go through Midi2CV module first, then you can use those gates for logic operations.

• I tried patching the NEG module both pre and post Midi2CV before asking here. I have a eulicidian sequencer on track 3 sending notes to Track 4. I patch the NEG module input to the trigger / gate out of Midi2CV and an amp gate to the output of NEG, but the amp still triggers only when there's note on sent from the eulicidian sequencer on Track 3. There are no notes on Track 3's step sequencer.

• This isn't enough information to build a patch.

Maybe you could sketch out some kind of "truth table" detailing on what the patch should do for you in which case?

Example: What should happen if two ANDed note ons are followed by a Note off on a) an existing note and b) on a different note than played?

And how should polyphony be handled?

• edited April 2023

I figured it out. Even with the gate on max, the euclidean sequencer puts out very short triggers, so it looked and sounded like the inverted gate/trig was activated on the on step, not after. I figured it out with the gate module, but then tried a midi delay module which is more precise for what I was wanting to set up. Thanks for your responses @rec and @rs2000

• Good to know! 😊

• Here you can see the difference...

Scope on the left shows the original Gate, on the right the negated... if your instrument has a sustain stage you can also here the difference, also when adjusting the Gate param on the Euclidean seq - which will work as a delay / offset in this configuration.

NEG module won’t trigger notes in those cases (note offs) because it only sees its input (0) and sustains it until the next gate. If you want notes to be triggered in those cases you’ll have to add some kind of clocked solution.

• oh... haven’t noticed that you already figured it out :)

• Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your quick feedback. @rec I figured out a solution but from your reply, I see I didn't properly figure out the root cause. The midi gate module was acting as a delay to the trigger when the NEG module was patched.