Euclidean triplets

Comments

• I answered myself: I removed the link between the two euclidians and added a substract: the second minus the first, it seems to work.

:-)

• Sorry everyone, I keep starting projects and not finishing. This one is close to my heart, and I do keep circling back. Soon… or not, I’ll have something to add

• I didn’t even start this one, sorry @supadom

• don't worry! your work gives us lots of ideas, it's great!🤩

• Why thanks, I never thought of my fiddling around as inspirational, I guess I’ll share more of them now (everyone on the forum: nooooo)

• What am I doing wrong here? First button plays 1st seq but second button plays both, while I wanted 2nd seq only

• Your Sequencer 2 has Midi input connection coming from the red sequencer; you get the mix. Make it blue.

• edited October 2023

Quick crash-course on "partido-alto", my favorite rhythm, and how to obtain it with the euclidean.

Time is 4/4, so set steps to 16. Set fill to 7. You can start anywhere on the pattern, Drambo's default start position ends up not being one of the two common ones, so a little offset is needed

If you want to modulate the offset, here's an example with a knob (remember to set it's range to 0..1):

the values to obtain the offset by 2 and 4 are .5625 and .125, respectively

• edited February 7

I keep posting here to not disperse things around regarding the euclidian…

Question:

Can anyone think of a design to generate the “negative” gates of the euclidian?

I mean instead of the lit steps play the unlit ones (from the on gates generate the off gates—for all steps)

I can think of ways to do this if I commit to a number of steps, but not something that would adapt freely to the steps I set on the euclidian

I feel it’s possible, but it needs to rely only on the output gates (when there’s a 1 start producing 0 at each step, until there’s another 1, then restart)

If anyone can nudge me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Btw… just to hear what you guys think, I have two little suggestions for the euclidian that maybe wouldn’t be hard to implement

• an invert switch (what I’m trying to hack here)
    • direction options (forward, back, pingpong)

Ping-pong must be doable with shift register (now there’s another thing to try), but I don’t think there’s a way to do backwards

• Invert: You can use a Graphic Modulator that creates the positive gate pulses in sync with the bpm and with adjustable gate length, going to an Amp module. Then negative-modulate the Amp volume with the gate output from the Euclidean.

Ping-pong: Use Graphic Modulators again to create any amount of funny time signals you want (including groove quantize), scale them if necessary and feed it to the Euclideans.

• edited February 8

Thanks @rs2000, great suggestions!

Regarding pingpong, of course, use the time sgnal 🤦‍♂️

If the time runs backwards (0 towards negative) then the sequencer will run backwards as well, right? Nevermind I’ll check, but now I seem to remember it being so.

These are “components” I’m figuring out for a more complex design I’ve been working on. I want to make “euclidian fills” by using a master euclidian that occasionally triggers faster short bursts from other euclidians

• edited February 8

No need for my suggestions, disregard that. Everything is covered (plus it would ruin the ui adding more buttons)

• Sounds good @pedro, I'm looking forward to watch your magic evolve!

• edited February 9

@rs2000 for the “opposite gates” this works pretty well with a clock generator. In order to use a graphic modulator instead of the clock, what would you draw in it? A series of pulses?

Edit: patch

• edited February 10

I could use some help with manipulating the time signal of the euclidean.

purpose: muting out portions of the sequencer, but with an adaptive design that rescales as I change the number of steps

Say I want the euclidian to only play the first half of its cycle. This works with 16 steps set up

But let’s say I change the steps to 32, now it no longer mutes from the half (now 16), but does the muting pattern only on the first 16 steps

I must bring the steps out as a knob that can modulate both the scale and the steps simultaneously, I haven’t worked out the math but I see already it doesn’t work on edge cases (for instance both set to one)

Any suggestions?

I can’t also figure how to do mute and restart. If I want the seq to be silent on beat 3 but play beat 4. Instead of 4 it plays again 1.

I thought I could do this on the mod

What am I missing?

Edit: scratch that last one

• Where exactly do you want the mutes to be?

16 steps: Play 1-8 and mute 9-16

32 steps: ??

• Now I’m trying to make it melodic

• edited February 10

I have been compiling all my notes regarding the euclidean, with lots of usage cases. I’m thinking of doing a mega post afterwards. It’s mostly stuff I learned here, along with some experiments of mine, but hopefully it will serve as inspiration for future travelers and maybe such a thread will encourage people to share their own tricks, cause I still have plenty of room in my bag.

One I’m missing is a really concise one for time modulation. Maybe @rs2000 could you please post a ping-pong one? Picture will do :)

• It’s the adaptive part that I struggled with. You can have something woring on 16 but then you change to 32 steps and the underlying division is still 16, if I explain mysel.

But I found a way around with some compromise and some math. I’m all good, in theory

• Preview (I got kinda carried away...)

• edited February 10

Ping pong @pedro:

When changing clip length, hit the respective button on the Switch 1-N module.

• @rs2000 that was exactly what I was doing but I couldn’t get it working with the euclidian, I don’t think it responds to backwards time like the sequencer here.

Anyway thanks, no big deal, there’s not much point playing the euclidean in reverse as the same pattern can be found going forward with offset

• Btw, I also had already built an n-1 selector just like yours. Seems like I’m finally starting to think alike 😅 somewhat

It’s for my “sweet spots” section

• edited February 11

In case anyone would care to give my current notes a revision, here is the draft version so far.

I'm not doing this for any kind of personal gain, I just had so many notes already that I decided to compile them all in one document, and then I thought why not share with the community.

I tried to make attribution wherever I remembered one, but many of these ideas I got from here and there. Of course @rs2000 deserves a special thanks from me, but I've learned a lot from each and everyone of you guys.

Anyway, here it is:

Edit: changed epub "renamed to zip" to "epub inside zip", hopefully that will make it easier to open:

This is actually an epub file (which is basically zipped html). If you remove the extra .zip at the end it will open in Documents or iBooks.

But here's a PDF preview (unfortunately it crops images, and I can't be bothered to fix it cause)

If you have any more tricks or techniques you'd like to share, I'm all ears.

And I'm working on a project showcasing all these techniques together. Stay tuned!

edit: should I keep polishing this “documentation” ? Like I said, I did it for myself, and well I’m all good. I could make a post out of this, but does anyone feel it’s worth it?

• This is just a draft, an attempt to learn from my part, I would love to hear feedback with new techniques, not only for the euclidean, but all sequencers in general

• Still regarding the Euclidean, I also want to put forward a motion to start calling it “the clid”. All those in favor?

• I’d be happy to organize this further for such purpose. I’m no authority, but I could organize submitions, I don’t know, format it however fits better.

Right now I’m working on making all these ideas into little custom racks you can insert before or after sequenceres. But I keep redesigning as I go 🤷🏻‍♂️

That was my idea with the modules section: have something working to go with