Combustor is amazing

amazing work with Combustor, it’s really incredible. Adding that MIDI function was a real icing on the cake.

My OP was about the midi parameters. They weren’t working, but after a few hours I checked my App Store by chance and I just saw there was an update and once installed it worked perfectly.

thanks and great work as always giku, what another interesting and awesome idea come to life by beepstreet

Comments

• The only issue for me so far been when using outside of Drambo in a DAW, the “Tune” and “Filter” parameters in the Combustor section moves very quickly when at “0” and then gets to a finer tune, or reacts more sensitively and slowly to my MIDI controller knob as you approach “127”. Same with the filter as shown below.

in other words, it jumps quickly when at 0, to like a 1/4 of a dial turn when i first move my knob. So it goes from 50hz to like 100hz with the slightest turn, then it jumps less from 100-500hz range only skipping increments of 25hz or 50hz with, and then it incrementally jumps less and less, until it is responding normally to the sensitivity of the knob at around 750hz. I am approximating because its hard to tell because i use the knob, then touch to get the readout, so sorry for not being totally accurate with the hz readout.

for the filter it jumps from 0 to 225hz, start to jump much less until 1500hz, and then after that it pretty much responds normally to the knob to 19999hz, so its similar in the beginning, it jumps a bit more, like 1/3 at first touch, but it resolves much quicker than the Tune.

Just thought I should post to see if anyone else has noticed it outside of Drambo (like the AUM update fixed)?

• i was hoping someone would chime in but I’ll just have to bump it with a request for someone to check and try this so I can rule out user error

i checked and even in Drambo it is jumping. I was looking at the mapped knob on the dRambo module but then I looked at the display and the audio unit user interface button is showing the jump

I didn’t want to bug giku with a bug report until someone confirms the bug isn’t just me or that I might be doing something wrong

thanks

(it’s not my new midi controller for sure)

• I would love to help but you lost me at “outside of drambo”

• edited July 2023

@pedro lol!

if you see my last post I said it’s also inside drambo, I didn’t notice it until I looked at the GUI (as I was looking at the module for reference) and it also applies to DRambo

im surprised no one who uses a controller noticed this

• edited July 2023

I think this is clearly noticeable even just mapping those knobs AU params in Drambo, the behavior of the mapped knob in Drambo seems to have a logarithmic relationship with the knob position in Combustor. I can easily see how only having 128 steps from a MIDI controller introduces big jumps. I'm not sure that this is a problem with Combustor or if it's something that needs to be implemented by the host, including Drambo.

This thread should be relevant: https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussion/1990/auv3-parameters-logarithmic-scaling

Edit: interestingly, I compared the behavior of Viking and Combustor hosted in Drambo and AUM, and the only combination that works OK is Viking in AUM, so maybe something needs to be addressed in Combustor as well.

• edited July 2023

Yeah man. I really ran it through the ringer before posting because I wanted to be sure it’s not me/user error/setting misconfiguration.

interesting to note, resolution is on a 1-100 value where as the 4 others have exponential changes or negative/positive integers. So I am pretty sure it just needs a little tweak as giku is genius at what he does.

*regarding the jumps; if you notice it doesn’t respond to the dial even until 60 on the knob, or a 1/4 of the full dial range. However once you pass 3/4 of the way, or like 100 on the knob, it responds in correlation to the proper assignment

• @FearAndLoathing yes, I'm seeing what you describe. Maybe a short video could help in explaining the issue to others