Using a pitch detector to program a cv quantizer.

This is a very specific use case but I’ve been trying to puzzle through how to build it.

I want to program the scale of a cv quantizer using an audio input.

I have a Bluetooth midi foot switch, and ideally i would give that to my bandmate who is playing bass, he could press a button, play a note, and that note would be selected on a quantizer.

bonus points if we can figure out how to have another switch that “clears” the quantizer.

currently he just hollers across the stage at me, i program the quantizer and then feed our drummers signal into a resonator so the contact mic on his hihats play a scale that sits nicely with whatever progression the bassist is lying down.

thanks for reading if you are still here, I’ve thinking pitch detector to midi note generator, to midi note filter, then a midi cc generator at the end of that, because the quantizers can midi learn cc, but I’m not sure the difference in control types and id love to bounce these ideas off another brain because I’m confusing myself.

my other idea is to have the bassist record slices into flexisampler and then use velocity from the drummers signal to trigger that, probably do some pitch shifting and other shenanigans so the drummer’s “synth” voice doesn’t sound like a bass. This would let the bassist change keys whenever he feels like it without yelling at me on stage…

thanks in advance id be super stoked if we could figure this out.

Comments