Ring mod side-chain

Just heard about this for the first time on modwiggler.

Did some background check, here's a few links:

But am I doing this right?

Sounds promising...

Comments

• Btw the “am I doing this right” question was rethorical

• so its just sidechain ducking but one of the signals has a ring mod on it?

• Basically what I took from it is having a full-rectified, inverted version of the SC source (the kick) ring-modulate (multiplied bt) the SC destination (the bass, although I used a loop).

I may have it wrong, though, and I’m still trying to figure out how this can be of any use, for SC and/or sound mangling

I was hoping someone who is familiar with the technique could chime in

• edited October 2023

weird demo video,

the sound is so aggressive I can't tell what is going on ^^ 🤷🏻‍♂️

being weird & aggressive seems to be the point if you use ringmod, I guess?

im not a fan of side chain anyway, its just kick & whatever, arrange notes and decay times so they dont make a mess. 😋

a funky drummer and a bassist dont need to be side chained. 🤷🏻‍♂️

i dont know it makes this weird cookie cutter music every time the kick hits. its a craze that got popular the last 20 years and now everything sounds the same. 😈so I avoid that. 😉 /rant

its kind of brute force for I dont know how to arrange things, let the tec do the job for me? 🤷🏻‍♂️

at least the kick is banging, so the xtc heads on the dance floor won't complain. 😂😈

• @lala yeah I hear you. The video already starts from pretty distorted sounds, I thought at first that it was the technique, but no, it seems the whole point is keeping the level below 0dB which multiplying by a 0 to 1 signal will do

Anyway I don’t think there is much more to see here. I was just curious

• edited October 2023

@lala I also have relinquished SC kick/bass to “old techniques I used to think were cool at the time” status 😅👍