WebDAV issue on Windows 11

Hey guys. I recently switched to a new laptop and whenever I try to copy a file through the Drambo WebDAV, it s always asking me if I want to replace the file. But there is no copy of the file in the first place,

just this 0 bytes thing it created when trying to do the copying. Asking it to continue leads to this error :

It only copies 0 bytes blanks of the files. Do you guys have any idea on why this might be ?

Comments

• edited October 2023

Webdav is fiddly in general. You seem to have tried before and the process got aborted leaving files with just placeholder? Hopefully someone can help (@rs2000 has made some posts about it) but you may have to delete the destination folder and recreate anew.

Ive used it to backup drambo folders, but major restructuring is a hit and miss. Which is not Drambo’s fault, just webdav’s

• Webdav works great… when you do one file at the time. Had to maintain a CMS for sometime that only had that option for mass upload, and well I don’t miss those times

I rather use icloud.com and don’t mess with it too much either

• It really depends a lot on the WebDAV client used. The Finder on MacOS works great, under Windows I'm using Total Commander with Ghisler's own WebDAV plugin. Total Commander is also quite reliable in showing all kinds of files.

• edited October 2023

sometimes windows likes to act up with filenames from mac

to many letters or symbols? filename to long? contains nerdy symbols?

Mac is very tolerant with this ..

• Indeed, the allowed Mac and Win character sets in file names are incompatible.

• edited October 2023

Don’t want to start a war, but windows is right, you can’t use some characters that belong to the filesystem. Like / \ :

I’m sure apple had the same issue and just hid it from user experience

• edited October 2023

no

its still ms-dos junk from 40 years ago 😂

microsoft just didnt bother to fix it ;)

why shouldn't you be able to use anything that goes through your mind except dot something? ;)

its a f...ing file name - the system shouldn't care, it has no business looking into the filename, it should just care for the dot something :)

i bet you can do nasty things with filenames in windows if you are clever? poke around in old ms dos commands for inspiration 😈

• edited October 2023

/ \ format c * run @朕 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ ##sudo man 🤦🏻‍♂️üÄÖ学校™ sudo man.mp4

is a normal Mac file name

windows doesn't like that

only thing it didnt like was

:

and obviously

if I want to make sure the file runs on anything

no symbols

no uft-8

no emoji

no empty spaces

not more than 8 letters.

like this

hellohell.wav (16/44.1)

• edited October 2023

Windows doesn’t like that? Hell no, who does? Do you want to name your files like that?

actually besides the * / \ it has no problem with chinese characters, and I’m not certain about the emojis but let me get back on my laptop and I’ll try

• edited October 2023

it all depends

if you maybe want to load your samples into hardware later or something best advice is really conservative naming

if its webstuff you maybe talking to a linux system

Who knows? ^^

Im not even sure if its the same number of letters (to long)?

I haven't used windows since 20 years. ^^

(only to fix dads computers)

roland & Korg seem to have pretty specific ideas how file names should look like ...

Do you want to name your files like that?

^^

maybe someone has a lot to say? ^^

usually my file names look like this

adfiuhawdgoh 34b@ ^^ (bang 2 times with 2 hands on keyboard and then version numbers - doesn't get any quicker ;) )

• I just don’t see why you’d need slashes and colons in your filenames. If you do windows is not for you 😅

but both can do the same job. My only pet peeve is macos hides so much complexity from users it becomes patronizing

• @lala like I said:

also I would like to see you produce a filename with a slash or a colon on macOS. That limitation is what's keeping me from switching over 😉

• edited October 2023

These characters work in MacOS hfs (What you see here is a file name):

but they don't work under Windows NTFS (except ";") so it would be a good idea to block these and other incompatible characters in file names inside Drambo.

Edit: Add the " character which works on hfs but not NTFS

• edited October 2023
  • told you before

only thing it doesn't want is ":" and "."

• edited October 2023

HFS+ is pre apple chips, thats the old stuff

Apple File System (APFS) is current on iOS and Mac.

• edited October 2023

Mac OS is a true Unix system, but with a nice UI on top.

just open the terminal (the linux command line tool) and geek out. ;)

if you dont open the terminal you never have to see or deal with the geeky stuff. :)