Allow Drambo to send MIDI clock when Ableton Link sync is enabled

edited October 2023 in Feature Wish-lists

I notice that the moment Drambo has Ableton Link synchronization enabled, it is sending no more MIDI clock events to connected MIDI devices. On the other hand MIDI start/stop messages are transmitted and the now unsynced sequencers are still getting started...

My suggestion is to continue sending clock for the following reasons:

• If someone does not want clock signals coming from a Link enabled Drambo, then these can be already disabled in the main settings menu. So there is no need to disable them completely.
  • This would make Drambo an excellent interface between Link enabled devices and MIDI synced ones.
  • In order to allow this, I would make a second suggestion that, when Link is enabled, MIDI clock is sent all the time, and not only when the transport is running. In addition this would satisfy people like myself, who work a lot with connected hardware synths, and who struggle with Drambo not providing permanent MIDI clock.

Comments

• edited October 2023

Yes, I've had a lot of issues with Drambo and MIDI clock. The weird thing is it that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. We do a regular livestream where I sync with 2 collaborators, one I share Link with, the other I send MIDI clock. I've posted a thread about the issue with no resolution. My workaround is to run an app called MIDI Link Sync in the background, but it's discontinued in the app store unfortunately.

Here's one of the recent live streams. BusCrates and I both use Drambo and have been syncing with Link, Richard uses an SQ64, so I send him MIDI clock. When we started the jams in the very early days of COVID, I sent Richard analog clock as we we both strictly analog modular.

https://www.youtube.com/live/T1PUBY4zqt8?si=7X3GleWLoOKpgFQY

• AudioBus 3 does work as a very reliable Ableton Link <—> MIDI clock relay station. It is important to run AudioBus at the same sample rate as any other apps like Drambo that you are using. Otherwise often the synchronisation gets lost (at least in my experience)

• Excuse my ignorance but how do you even share midi clock remotely (which I assume since you mentioned covid). I can understand link but even then, don’t you need to be on the same network? Are you using a vpn or something?

I’m really interested in collaboration online, but I’m not even past the sync part in understanding. How do you handle the audio tracks? The arrangement? Or you just jam? Over zoom or whatever?

• +1 for Audiobus as an excellent Link / Clock bridge. It's the best!

One important thing though: you must add an audio output to keep Audiobus from suspending itself to the background. Just the "system output" is fine, and as long as there's no input to it, it won't do anything and won't output any sound.

An added benefit is, from my tests at least, Audiobus does the best job of smoothing jitter from incoming midi clock, which can be quite significant on iOS unfortunately.

• Sorry for any confusion. We do our livesteams in person, in the same room. The early covid era livestreams were done in Richard's garage and outside at a distance. As far as I know, no one's cracked the code for remote, on line 2+ way synchronization / clock sharing.

• edited October 2023

We tried all kind of things to keep our sequences in sync when playing online. What works best for us two players is to split roles: Player one is playing with sequences and rhythm and sends their audio to Player two (via Zoom, Sonobus or Clean-feed). Player two plays the lead manually on the keyboard, mixes it with the audio coming from One and sends it back. Player one should set up the audio to only hear what is coming back, but not their own synths directly.

• It's so strange that this isn't an option currently. I just got into another situation where this was necessary. Please add this.