BIPOLAR step OFFSET adjustments to dramatically improve the step sequencer in unquantized use cases

2»

Comments

• Agreed however Mute style doesn’t work on dRambo auv3, Giku has been made aware of the issue.

• Haha, nice try!

The truth is that I know myself too well. I’ve made the mistake of buying stuff based on Audiobus excitement. Bar some purchases like Tone boosters apps as well as Bleass Voices everything else stayed unused for a while and eventually deleted.

I just love Drambo too much. I know it enough to get away with building most things myself. If D went subscription I’d be first in line. 😂 it’s pretty much the only app other that loopy pro that I use daily.

• No worries. :)

@supadom

I hear you dude.

I use dRambo everyday without fail, even my son requests dRambo now. ;)

• edited December 2023

@number37 I understand the confusion! - I just realized that my original post (actually a comment) on the current mute bug with Drambo is probably not publicly visible. I reported the issue in the beta section of the forum (Version 2.0 - Bug reports), I'm almost certain you're also in the beta so you can look for my bug report there on December 21 if you'd like.

The short of it is simply that using Drambo as an AUv3 to sequence other AUv3s in AUM doesn't respond to any of the main mute buttons requests (MIDI data just keeps being sent to external AUv3s)

P.S. I just finished watching (again) all of the Helium tutorials Paul posted on his channels (I must've fell asleep literally from exhaustion when I went over it the first time in my research because DEFINITELY his automation write management and MANY other features are really super interesting and show clear attention to detail. 100% buying it as soon as it goes back on sale. Helium definitely deserves the attention.

@supadom Cheers lol! I tried 😋 I understand the feeling and the love for Drambo especially.

• edited December 2023

@number37 I understand the confusion! - I just realized that my original post on the Drambo muting issue is probably not publicly visible. I reported the issue in the beta section of the forum (Version 2.0 - Bug reports), I'm almost certain you're also in the beta so you can look for my bug report there on December 21 if you'd like.

I'm not on the beta - but no worries, case closed. It's since been explained that midi mute from the track settings isn't working in the AUv3, and there is a workaround using the midi out module with mutes.

Drambo is all I need for Midi sequencing. I have most of the other sequencers (except Helium) and I barely use them any more. You've raised a couple of feature requests which will be nice if they ever show up but that personally I don't need. To be honest, detailed sequencing is becoming less and less of a priority for me. At this stage I'd rather do a retakes until I'm happy than get trapped into endlessly tweaking sequences. Commit and move on is my new motto and it's liberating.

Even in Drambo, the extent of actual sequencing, as opposed to live recording of midi, is limited to things where my playing isn't up to scratch, such as complex hi-hat parts, or where I want to get some more mileage out of a sequence with probabilities and cycle conditions. The toolset in GR-16 is of course more extensive in that regard, but I don't miss that. Again ... I'm having more fun resisting the temptation to obsess over that kind of thing.

That's just me though. I totally get where you're coming from. The only thing I'll offer is: get used to improvising and cobbling things together on iOS. Perfection just doesn't exist here. You have to piece it together yourself.

• @number37 maybe you should be on the beta team.

• I've thought about it, but don't really think I'd be effective. If I'm gonna beta test I need to be thorough about it, and I don't go that deep with Drambo. It's mostly just an occasional midi looper for Loopy Pro for me and an occasional place to do what I call "science experiments".

• edited December 2023

@number37

I completely agree with the usefulness of having the ingenuity of finding outside the box solutions. I was also aware of all this when I "took the dive" and got an iPad Pro.

There is no doubt in my mind that this platform - IOS music making and all its key contributors (such as Drambo, AUM and many others) - is the future of music making and that's why I'm here. I also have the willingness to dedicate some SERIOUS amounts of time and energy to help developers out in whatever way I can, as it ends up benefiting everyone and I LOVE the organic feel of witnessing all these people joining forces to make things move in a new, beautiful and evolving direction technologically.

Edit: Regarding what you said on features that you personally don't really have a need for, I think that when it comes to the implementation of bipolar Offset, most people that use unquantized recording will benefit from the improvement in readability of the information in the step sequencer alone even if they don't have the habit of modifying steps, unless if someone just chooses to act as if the step sequencer didn't even exist lol :D (that's not a nice thing to do though!)

• No worries, I hear ya though from my perspective you’re deeper than many dRambo users.

and now it’s the “science experiments” that have me curious. 🧐

Are we going to hear any of them? 😁

• edited December 2023

Edit: Regarding what you said on features that you personally don't really have a need for, I think that when it comes to the implementation of bipolar Offset, most people that use unquantized recording will benefit from the improvement in readability of the information in the step sequencer alone even if they don't have the habit of modifying steps, unless if someone just chooses to act as if the step sequencer didn't even exist lol :D (that's not a nice thing to do though!)

Actually you aren't far from the mark there when it comes to me. I either think in terms of the step sequencer only, such as when I'm poking in a drum groove. Or I think of it in terms of the piano roll only, such as when I need to tidy up a few things in an otherwise good live played in keyboard take. I would almost never go to the step sequencer to clean up a live played in part. So, while I totally see the value in those suggestions for the step sequencer for many people, they aren't important to my workflow. I don't think I'm a very typical user though.

• By "science experiments" I mean things like researching ways to do things when people ask questions, or the occasional challenge of trying to recreate a synth or something. The only two examples of that I can point to are Outerzone and Outerzone WT, and TR Nine o' Mine. Outerzone WT is the only one I end up using myself. Most such science experiments are just for an evening's entertainment and don't even get saved.

• I’d personally would love to record unquantised although there’s always some notes that are a bit more off than I’d like them to so having a quantise intensity slider for live recording would be amazing. Something that allows for a degree of sloppiness. I’d like it to ‘tidy up’ the recording as soon as the record button it off so it doesn’t affect the live playing, very much as it works right now.

I agree that most users wouldn’t probably even notice or use that setting.

I personally can’t remember the last time I set my eyes on piano roll or step components 🙄

We all have such varied way of using gear.

• …but simple man that I am, I’d be thoroughly happy with the ability to midi map the quantise on off switch in the transport menu so I can keep some parts grid free for added grooviness without the need for menu diving.

• edited December 2023

I personally can’t remember the last time I set my eyes on piano roll or step components 🙄 

I'm getting there myself. Loopy Pro was the start of a new phase of liberation and improved chops for me. I'll occasionally dip back into sequencing, but increasingly am only happy if I can get away with a few takes until I get it "good enough" and then move on. I still need me my Drambo sequencer often enough though and for all the rest that Drambo ❤️ does.

We all have such varied way of using gear.

Yep! A quantize on/off switch would be killer, especially if it could be destructively applied optionally. I'd love to be able to touch up a fluff live without having to resort to the sequencer. Probably wouldn't work every time since I can be so far off at times, but would be great to have the option.

• @supadom LOL you just mentioned something similar to the next "thing" I had the intention to write a suggestion post on, which was to have a permanently visible quantize toggle button next to the tempo top left, I believe this to be a straight up brilliant idea. Things are getting spicier by the minute in Drambo 😄

• @number37 Hey :D! so I was fiddling with Drambo and re-reading some of the stuff we discussed and I just realized you mentioned:

It didn't "click" in my mind when I first read this because I just went over the settings in the hamburger menu and tried muting stuff using 3 different ways and could never get muting to behave any other way than as an audio mute.

To be thorough I just thought I'm going to go check the manual and keyword search "mute" - low and behold by taping on the track number in the Main rack there's a mute style option!

That means that the entire bug report I made is 100% obsolete.

Even loading Drambo as an AUv3 Midi Fx, all I had to do was to go in the track settings and adjust the option so that it's MIDI mute and VOILA! - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Actually embarrassing LOL! 😅

The only thing that is remotely relevant about my mute bug report is MAYBE the fact that it could be nice to have all tracks default as MIDI mutes when using Drambo as an AUv3 MIDI Fx, but now that I think of it I'm assuming I could just make a template with all tracks already adjusted to MIDI mutes, making this a complete non issue. OMG...😁

• That's why we have forums. 😎