Gate accumulation and triggering

edited January 14 in How to's

As part of some generative patches, I developed a simple gate accumulator:

The idea is it counts gates (polyphonic) and after N gates it outputs a single gate.

The number of repetitions is hardcoded in the “scale” of the integrator (formula is 1/n so here n=4–> 0.25), but I can make layers of all the divisions I want and use a switch n-1 to make it dynamic

[edit: forgot to ask: is there a way to avoid the feedback modules for reset?]

What I would like help with is after this gate signal is generated, how to trigger something in a time-controlled way.

For instance:

• Trigger an envelope (a mod one, so you can set arbitrary attack/decay)
  • Trigger an euclidean sequencer. I want the gate signal to trigger a ramp up time signal for the euclidean, that makes it run for a number of steps (or time), and then stop.

I have my ideas, with LFO and math, but they seem convoluted. I’m sure you guys know some elegant solutions.

any help appreciated!

Comments

• edited January 14

Hi, how exactly should monophonic and polyphonic playing of MIDI notes be treated? What's the use case?

Not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve.

From what I understand so far, this would be enough:

It's the gate signal processed by the voice selector.

A little side note: Using "Wrap" mode inside the integrator lets it reset automatically after reaching the upper limit.

• I am struggling more with how to generate a controllable signal for the euclidian. I want it to start in response to when there has been N triggers, and burst out a random sequence

How do I get a nice modulatable signal that I can use as the time signal of the euclid

• edited January 14

Using the Graphic Env, you can draw any time signal shape you like and trigger it freely.

What do you want to modulate?

• edited January 14

The thing is I want to vary the length, the time it takes for the envelope to run through it’s lenght. I guess I can use a morph for that, but it becomes hard to control exact length

maybe I should post a concrete example

• Yes, morph and control the morph with bars drawn in Graphic Shaper for precise adjustments.

• Oh yes, drawing bars on a graphic shaper for precision. That may work, let me try

(and thanks for the wrap-mode heads-up, of course I was over complicating)

• edited January 14

I want to trigger the sequencer occasionally (like to introduce fills), so I’d like a setup like this, but where I can have a knob for number of beats (or time) the seq plays, and another for the tempo.

Basically what I need is a ramp up signal but that goes from 0 to number of beats, and that I can change the slope to make it play faster or slower.

edit: ok, a scale time was all I needed for the controllable time

I’m getting there, thanks for bearing with me.

Edit2:

for my purposes this is enough for now, each input gate triggers a variable pattern and tempo

• Nice! Good idea randomizing the Euclidean pattern every time.

• I now throw a randomizer instead of a morph everywhere I need modulations. Work smart not hard 🤷‍♂️