Tempo based trigger

Hi - trying to figure out how to set up a one shot trigger that is sent to a modulation destination on the beat of the song. This could be used to mute / unmute a voice in tempo. I’ve been able to use the graphic modulator to send a cycling tempo-synced signal out but have not come up with a way to do a single trigger initiated with a button or other modulation source. Any ideas?

Comments

• How do you define a trigger?

• Like this?

It is a sample and hold that receives input from the button and is triggered by a sequencer with a gate on the 1 beat. It outputs the signal from the button but it only updates in the 1 beat.

• @bcrichards that may be what I’m looking for. I’m going to experiment with what you sent a bit and will report back. By trigger I mean a signal that initiates an action like starting a sequencer or toggling a switch. Maybe that would be a gate.

What lead me down this path was a patch I’m putting together where the drum part is muted/unmuted using a switch button. Sometimes when hitting the button I would be slightly off beat, cutting off an attack or decay.

• It's as easy as this:

• thanks @rs2000 , I will give that a try for sure!

I have found the example that @bcrichards posted useful, adding in my Noir sequence in place of the Flexi. With Noir having its own internal sequencer it works (starts and stops synced with the beat) even without being triggered by a note in the pattern sequencer. And when there are notes entered in the pattern sequencer, it gives me some cool rhythmic / pitch variation. I’m baffled though as to what the S&H and the amp module at the end of the chain are really doing. Exploring it further and having fun doing so.

• edited February 4

At each beat the S&H gate gets triggered by the clock generator. At that point it samples the input (the trigger button) and keeps outputting that value (holding it). So if the trigger switches, the output of the S&H will still keep outputting its previous value, until the next beat, forcing changes to be on time

edit: oh I realize now you meant Ben’s patch. It’s a similar approach only using a gate sequencer instead of a clock. The amp at the end is being fully modulated (negatively) by the synced gate rack output, so you only get sound out when it’s 1 (at 0 the amp will be fully turned down)

It also works if you turn the amp knob fully down, and the modulation knob fully up

you can save some screen space with rs’s version but you’ll still need the modulated amp at the end if you want to mute sound

• really good info. thanks @pedro

• You're welcome, but you should thank Ben an Rs… Me it’s all “those who can’t do teach” (and I’m not even good at that as far as drambo goes)

• All of this advice has been quite helpful. I now understand what the S&H module is doing - outputting the current value of the trig button at each gate signal. Really cool. I was able to take the patch that Rs shared and set the trigs/beat to .25 which syncs the start/stop of my sequencer to the first beat of the measure. This is perfect for the patch that I’m working on.

I’ve always thought of S&H as a type of random value generator, in the context of an LFO. What is it really ‘sampling and holding’ to do that?

• Both are true.

When used with an unsynced LFO, the S&H samples the random LFO values at regular times.

• This patch has greatly improved my jam flow. Relying less on the pattern sequencer and p-locks to mute/unmute parts on the beat.

I wanted to do the same thing with fade ins/outs, without using automation clips. Adding in a ramp module did the trick. Just wanted to share that here…

• Nice!

I totally forgot about the Ramp module 😄

• I had to go look myself cause I was like “what ramp module?”