Non overlap mode for the Randomizer module

Since a single Randomizer module can modulate unlimited sources, it would be practical to have a 'non overlap' mode built in, the use-case - 'One of many for chords' you could assign it to multiple instances of voice selector modules and the randomly assigned voice numbers will always switch uniquely without overlap. This would also eliminate the need to build this system from a handful of A>B + Logic modules.

Comments

• This wouldn't really be random behavior anymore, would it?

Also, quantizing floating point numbers into musical notes is an independent process.

TBH I would just increase polyphony and accept a varying number of chord notes as part of the charm 😉

• All good points!

I've also noticed if doing the above described via external midi control, so switching voices in a non overlapping way followed by a Many to Poly module, then it'll still ignore the switching of the voices and play them accordingly, do you happen to know if this is achievable in another way? So say 4 notes which are being fed by the sequencer are always coming in in different orders out of the Many to Poly module?

• If you create a polyphonic signal out of multiple inputs then the output will always have the current values of each input merged into a polyphonic signal with n voices from n inputs. It doesn't care about any order because all inputs are treated equally: 4 inputs go into 4 voices.

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. The sequencer will output a polyphonic signal already, no need for many to poly.

• Many to Poly is being used because I'm trying to separate all voices by the voice selecter module and then reshuffle their order for when they arrive at the sound source, I guess I'll keep digging.

• What are you trying to build?

• A system of reordering incoming chord notes that are playing from the sequencer, so they never arrive in the same configuration as being played from the source. Result, if you'd for instance take a track, make 3 copies of it with an identical sequence and set the conditions of each chord to 'one of many' then that should be the result, and also preferably without overlap.

• edited February 23

I have struggled too with realizing similar concepts for two reasons:

• If a chord is played with lower polyphony than adjusted in MIDI to CV, notes will round robin through the voices.
    • Re-ordering notes by pitch, for example, is possible but how will you treat a changing/new played note in a chord?

Part of a solution might be to AND the pitch voices with the gate voices to process only active notes but I haven't tried that yet. It would also require a sorting logic flexible enough to handle chords with varying polyphony.