Controller setup

Hello!

I have an Alen Heat Xone K2 controller. When setting up with drambo I encountered some difficulties.

1. The button backlight does not work when pressed. I noticed the same thing on launch control.

2. The top row of encoders has infinite adjustment. When I assign this encoder to switch layers, when I turn it, it turns on either the first layer or the last one. A regular encoder allows you to switch layers smoothly.

3. The controller has three layers with flexible settings. I can choose what will change when switching layers - encoders/faders/buttons or all together. But in Drumbo mapping only works in the all together mode. Although I did not notice such a problem in other applications.

Xone K2 is a cool controller! It has a built-in sound card on board and the ability to connect several devices together. I paired it well with the djay pro app. And I would like to use it with drambo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can solve these problems?

Comments

• edited April 1

What you describe requires parameter feedback.

Drambo uses a generic mapping method without value feedback so if you want LEDs to light up on your controller, you'll need to build that in Drambo for yourself.

You can tag @gravitas, he has a lot of experience in this area and he has created wonderful Novation Launchpad support with LED feedback and more.

BTW you're the first one mentioning the Xone K2, I've never heard from any Drambo owner using it.

One of my controllers is a Faderfox LC2 for example which I would prefer using in Drambo because it not only has 6 faders and 4 endless encoders, but also a joystick for XY pad control and a crossfader to control Drambo morphing scenes.

I also own a Hercules DJ controller with high resolution scratch wheels that can be used in Drambo to "scratch" through samples.

• @ptrvch

I’ve only just seen this.

I have no experience with the Xone2 so bear with me as I read the manual for it.

To get the buttons/pads to light up try this.

Basically route the midi input from the Xone K2 back to the Xone K2

on midi channel 15 unless you’ve changed it’s default midi channel.

Once the pads/encoders light up then you’re more than halfway there.

Screenshot for the LCXL mkii which makes the LED’s light up

on the first 8 Scenes.

In regards to functions and how each pad/encoder behaves

that’s dependent upon your projects and how you design your projects

so can you add some more details please.

• Ahh yes….

For the encoders have you tried changing the settings when midi mapping?

For instance have a look at this list.

• I took the Xone K2 for DJing. This is an excellent controller with a built-in sound card on board. In addition, it is possible to connect two or more controllers to each other via a LAN cable without using USB.

This is great for djay pro app. And I decided to try to run it in drumbo.

• I configured the LKXL

as in your screenshot. When pressed, the button lights up. But when I assign a mapping to it when pressed, it stops lighting up.

• I tried changing the settings. For encoders without stroke limitation. The lower incremental jog setting is suitable. The fader and encoders are smoothly adjustable. But unfortunately this does not work for switching layers.

• Okay cool, you’ve got that far.

When a cc message or midi note has been mapped it automatically gets taken out from the main midi stream

so what we have to do is create something that will send the required midi message/s out.

Place a midi monitor in between the midi input and the midi output so that you can see what midi message

you need to send back out to the LCXL or Xone2.

The other than you will need is this

https://inspiredacoustics.com/en/MIDI_note_numbers_and_center_frequencies

• either CC messages or midi notes.

LCXL default mappings tend to have CC messages for all of the encoders and notes for the pads.

I leave my LCXL’s on factory default which makes it easier when designing stuff.

You can use numerous modules to do this,

for what purpose do you need the feedback for?

• I want it to light up when I press a button. For example, when selecting a track or mute button

• So we need to create a way to do so.

For instance you could use the Buttons module to send the midi notes.

You will need the midi to freq chart for this.

Screenshot

We numerically set the freq via the Buttons and then use a Freq to CV module

to convert it into a recognisable signal and then be used to send midi notes.

We then map the pad to the Button we need and it switches on the LED.

Switch behaviour is decided by us.

• I probably explained it wrong. I would like to use the bottom row of buttons to switch tracks and when I press button 1, the first track will open and the button will light up.

Or I want to mute tracks and have the LED light up when I press the button. So that I understand which track I have disabled

• Isn't it easier to use mid synth control or mozaic apps to set up LCHL?

• Yup, that’s what we’re doing.

When we map a pad/encoder, the note or cc message on that channel gets taken out from the main stream

so therefore we have to replace it with a signal that will make the pads/encoders light up.

Basically creating the visual feedback that we need without midifeed back howl.

I’ve just had my morning coffee so bear with me.

So far I’ve mapped every pad and encoder for the LPX, LCXL, NanoKontrol and the X-Touch.

For the latter automating moving faders is very cool by the way.

When using MidisynthControl you’re only setting the midi notes and cc messages not how it will light up

however you can use Mozaic to create the visual feedback but it still is the same thing when it comes to mapping

the only caveat is that you could possibly end up with double notes when using both dRambo and Mozaic.

• so first things first.

Put together something that looks like the screenshot I posted up earlier.

If you only need one row of lights then you only need eight buttons.

• I tried to do it like in your screenshot for 4 buttons. But unfortunately I have not achieved success yet ((

Where can I make a mistake?

• @ptrvch

It's essential to find the correct values for the buttons. Connect the MIDI monitor to the output of MIDI Note Gen and make sure the right notes are sent to your controller.

• Thank you! Happened!

Just when mapping buttons there are a few problems

1) When entering a frequency into the button value, the MIDI monitor displays an incorrect note

2) Some buttons send two commands when turned on/off, which is why the button does not light up

• @ptrvch

Great!

1. The frequencies might need a little upward/downward correction to get the correct note
    2. Which commands do they send?

Another question: Do you need more than one button enabled or should they be exclusive (radio button style, only one switched on at a time)?

• @ptrvch

Note that in my screenshot there is a number module connected to the velocity input for the Note generator.

Thats’s to ensure the correct brightness and that the light will light up properly.

• I need one button to enable only one command. Button 2 sends commands D4 - 127; S-2 - 0. Button 3 sends D#4 - 127; D#4 - 0. Button 3 works fine, but button 2 does not light up. I have attached screenshots above.

• Look under the “Math” menu and it’s there

Here’s a screenshot

The “Number” module is very useful, almost as useful as the “Gtaphic Shaper”.

• After much torment, I managed to adjust the buttons. Unfortunately, I was unable to get more than 16 buttons to work. Maybe the problem is in the drumbo itself. Two separate modules are working. And one doesn't

Sorry for my meticulousness, but I didn’t understand how the number module works(

• No problem.

I’m meticulous myself so same wavelength and no need to apologise.

Hhhhmmmm, “Many to Poly” may only do 16 inputs not 24 so using two “Many to Poly’s” is the way forward for now.

The Number module provides a fixed velocity amount when connected to the Vel input of the note generator

which we need to make the midi note output consistent.

• That's exactly what I did. I created two modules and it worked.

Did I understand correctly that you have a library of modules for different devices?

• I thought at much, great that it worked.

Yup, I do for all of the hardware that I have, I would have more except I simply don’t have the hardware to test.

One of these days other musicians will get the hint and send them to me and I’ll design stuff for them. ;)

I’ve got loads other stuff floating around that I’ve designed it’s simply designing versus uploading

and I throughly enjoy designing. :)

• I decided to use a tablet with the tuchnosc application as a controller. It allows you to customize the display and control of buttons that are needed and create different tabs

• I hear you on that.

I haven’t delved into TouchOsc and now I most probably won’t

as dRambo + midi controllers cover most if not all of my needs.

By the way you can replace the Buttons with the Knobs module and you can modulate those

which is really cool for creating your own sequencers.

• Drambo has a lot of settings that I want to adjust. This is difficult to do with a physical controller. LCXL has illuminated regulators. This helps a little. But when changing pages, the faders reset. And you have to constantly adapt. In TouchOSC I made several pages and a whole menu. Personally, I find it more convenient.

I haven’t yet found the ideal physical controller for my tasks, so I turned to TouchOSC.

Tell us more about replacing buttons.