Basimilus iteritas alter in Drambo?

Thia eurorack module is everywhere and praised for it’s flexibility and large palette of drum sound. Like everything eurorack, expensive.

It is digital tho so I am sure that Drambo could get close.

Anyone owning one with Drambo skills have tempted to recreate it?

Comments

• edited September 2023

Looking forward to this, would try it myself if i had BIA .. pretty sure it is doable, all needed building blocks (oscillators, envelopes, waveshapers) in Drambo are stellar quality.

• At first reading the title I thought this was spam, or that OP was having a stroke

but thanks @PhC for posting about this intriguing machine, I wouldn’t ever hear about. I too believe it’s totally doable in drambo, but the most fun part about these “do it in drambo “ projects is that even if you end up with a totally different machine, it was totally worth it

keep us posted 💪

• After watching this video

I must say it seems to be simpler than I thought.

• @rs2000

Yeah,… it is… I read the manual this morning. ;)

• edited September 2023

😂😂😂

Yeah, Noise Engineering modules names really looks like some spam bod generated nonsense :-)))

But they are fantastic modules. Really top notch, their whole poetfolio is great. Also pretty expensive , so if somebody makes faithful clone of Basimilus, then 🤟🤟🤟🤟

Basimilus is in modern techno dawless jammers absolute anthem :-)

Ihor did few great videos wirh Noise Enginering stuff

• Funny how the BIA manual, that I lazily did not bother to open before posting mention something similar to what you say about Drambo, which is true: “Basimilus Iteritas started out as something very different than where it ended.

The manual reveal surprisingly a lot what’s going on inside the module. Almost a cookbook…

• @PhC

I put something together this morning however I’m in the middle of a project so I decided not to post it up yet.

I wanna tweak it a little bit.

Have a look in the original manual and you will see a flow chart which will give you a better idea of how

all of the oscillators are brought together.

I did make a mistake (maybe not as I like the sound) with my one which is I used wavetable oscillators

and added individual wave effects to each and a Shaper set to hard Fold to the summed signal.

I think it only has one Fold after the signal and not on each individual oscialltor.

I was also thinking that one could use the FM oscillator but I’m liking the sound that I’m getting right now.

I would suggest scaling down the output of the summed oscillators before it goes

into the Shaper as the signal is going to be really, really hot.

Back soon. :)

• PhCPhC
    edited September 2023

@gravitas I found the “simplified synthesis diagram” and it gives a good idea. The orginal manual?

Can’t wait to hear it whenever you are ready/willing to share.

I am myself putting together a little project that triggers Pocket Operators pads with cv (real) gate signal, so D have to wait a bit. :)

• @PhC Yeah, the original one as there’s two versions of the BIA it seems.

Here’s the link to the legacy version.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0552/0923/0485/files/BIA_manual_legacy.pdf?v=1626231927

I hear you on the hardware side of things.

I’ve just discovered the joys of turning low pass filters into percussive sounds

using the Teenage engineering modules self resonating filters and an LPG.

The fun thing is one can record the automation on the fly so… I’ll be back soonish.

I’ve got a performance to practice and a video to make. ;)

• PhCPhC
    edited September 2023

👌 Sounds good. Recently put my hand on a very very cheap dual passive LPG (vactrol) from Laurentides Synthworks and it turns pretty much everything I feed into it into a nice percussion sound. I haven’t tried yet self resonating filter, thanks!

• @PhC

That LPG looks sweet.

I would suggest modulating the filters with noise as well.

It’s a lot of fun. ;)

• edited September 2023

It sounds like latin. ;)

don't ask me what it means.

Basimilus repeated the second?

• Google translator actually does latin, here’s the translation it gives:

Basimilus repeated the second

• edited September 2023

its not that simple, I guess

alter can also be "the other" as in alter ego

or alter for "mangled" (the repeat is different?)

who or whatever basimilus may be? 😂

• Yeah, it was google’s translation, not mine.

I think it means more like Basimilus did it again

• Circuitus Rex

It’s not a one to one copy but there are some things that are similar.

Have fun with the P-Locks. ;)

• it’s nice experimental instrument - but it has too much controls imho for this territory (if we are still talking about BIA-like instrument) ..

power of those modules like BIA is that there is really just very few knobs which are optimised the way that literally any random combination of them gives some sweet spot sound … you often even doesn’t need to know what exactly that knob is doing but just by random tweaking you get usable result - this is main reason why this concept works great for live jamming improvisations but just with small amount of knobs - there is no chance you make something with 20-30+ knobs where any random combination of them gives that “sweet spot” type of sound

• edited September 2023

Agreed, however if you look on screen left of the instrument the main knobs from the B.I.A are clearly labelled.

If they don’t want to see the rest of it then all they have to do is press the Section modules to hide the rest.

Thanks for the constructive criticism as my instruments are way to complex for the average user.

I’ll bear that in mind for the future.

• edited September 2023

well basically you are true, yet you see, you scared even me, experienced synth guy :-))) i just immediatelly scrolled to right, saw switches, exposed whole FM opeeators, etc ..

I may be wrong, but i think regardless of how complex instrument it is, when in compact mode, it should have exposed just very few parameters.. then, when you want to go complex, you can always turn off compact mode and go wild :-)

Anyway, i finally started to be intersted to try build something more close to BIA too :-) Opened manual and found first problem. For “metal” mode they use linear FM - but they use oscillators which are sweepable sine-rriangle-saw-square (so basically WT oscillators). Problem is, in Drambo you can do linear FM only with Operator and that has only Sine.

So here we are. We need FM modulation for WT Oscillator in Drambo :-)))

• edited September 2023

@dendy Don't forget the simple sawtooth oscillator re-shaped by a number of Graphic Shapers.

Plus, waveshaping done in the same way is an extremely powerful synthesis method.

• Opps, sorry to scare you. ;)

I didn’t think about compacting at all as you’ve realised though that was my intention with the Sections modules which I always use to keep organised, if you uncompact the Rack there’s even more going on especially with the G-Shapers that I used to do some smoothing for my tastes.

Good point in regards to the oscillator shape.

I started building it using the WT’s and then realised that I couldn’t FM them though I could PWM them.

So I used the Feedback on the FM operator to change oscillator shape and then having them feeding into each other via the FM index so that to the left it’s more Skin and then turning the knob to the right it becomes Metal.

If you look I’ve attenuated all of the FM inputs because it became way gnarly for me.

Now you’ve got me thinking about morphing the FM operator output using the Graphic Shaper.

Hmmmm I wonder if it could be done. 😁

• edited September 2023

@rs2000 isn’t Feedback supposed to morph through the shapes?

• “ Feedback - amount of output signal that is internally fed back to FM input. Changes waveshape: square-sine-saw“

Okay, I’ve answered my own question.

It’s “Feedback” of the operator not the oscillator shape itself.

• edited September 2023

@rs2000 I remember the shapes from when you first showed me ages ago however

the BIA uses FM modulation so how do we go about doing that using the Shapes in your example?

• Weekend phase modulation 😄

• No way…

That’s it? then we could drop in the wavetable oscillators then.

Yeah….😁

• Well, my first OSC wave shaper example was the one to modulate with audio frequency in fact 😉

• I got this happening by the way using the Graphic Shaper and Integrator(legacy).