Comments

• Or just:

Since I love to simplify things 😊

Thanks @gravitas ☺️

• Wicked.

I’m going to have a play with those.

Bamg goes my weekend. 😉

• edited September 2023

oo.. plethora of great ideas to try.. great to be on forum with giga brains like you guys !

also trying to wrap my head around the concept where in BIA “attack” knob in first half adds to attack but in second half again lowers attack :-)) Pretty sure with some math and condition modules it will be possible…

• @dendy

“also trying to wrap my head around the concept where in BIA “attack” knob in first half adds to attack but in second half again lowers attack :-)) Pretty sure with some math and condition modules it will be possible…”

Does it add more to the Attack somehow?

From my understanding it adds noise?

Open up Circuitus Rex and you will see how I’ve connected up the Attack knob.

Ignore the Morph module labelled Attack as that one is for the FM operator attack.

Basically it attenuates the volume of the Noise module as it reaches center.

and the giga brain is rs2000.

I’m just his humble student.🙏🏾

• edited September 2023

attack knob in first half increases oscillators attack also adds noise.. in second half noise stays at max and attack starts shorten.. so basically - most left , no noise, shortest attack, middle - max noise, max attack, right - max noise,shortest attack

they did some pretty clever stuff with knobs, they usually change multiple different things the way that even with few knobs you get vast range of very different sounds

• edited September 2023

@gravitas Agreed, it sounds like the left half of the knob range simply adjusts the noise level.

• @rs2000 ok that trick with delay is behind my understanding :-) why it works ? what exactly it does ??

• edited September 2023

hm but it is not that useable.. for examle it produces lot of clicks during mod amoint change ... i think still best solution is just to use Operator and feedback knob to sweep between square / sine / saw - because that is totally smooth ..

still would love to really understand how/why it works with that delay module, it's pretty cool :-)

• edited September 2023

shaper is really one of most powerful modules i drambo :-))

• Absolutely! My words 😊

The modulated delay is basically a phase modulator.

• It’s phase width modulation if I’m not mistaken.

I’ve been listening to real PWM for months now via my semi modular synths

as I’m trying to create my own versions using dRambo.

It’s like it’s moving so fast that it cancels itself out, have a look on the oscilloscope.

• Agreed.

The very first thing you said when I started dRambo was “The Graphic Shaper is your friend”.

Very true words. 😊

• @rs2000 as I don’t like to take the easy route as you well know.

I’ve got a sawtooth happening from a triangle using my limited knowledge.

The amplitude isn’t linear however the waveform is good to go, well…with caveats of course. :)

• Looks good @gravitas!

I'm usually starting with an OSC Mini, Sawtooth waveform and anti-aliasing switched off. It's the least mind-bending option because when fed into a Graphic Shaper, you get exactly the waveform you've drawn inside the Graphic Shaper.

• Thanks brother.

I’m having look at the morphing between the sine wave and the square because

it’s not morphing quite the way I expect it too however it’s something play around with. :)

• Sine wave to the square morph is now all good. :)

• You guys have given me a couple things to keep me busy tonight. Thanks for that!

• Okay,

Using a sine wave I’ve now got a square, triangle and sawtooth.

First I turned the square into a triangle using the integrator

and then I multiplied the intergrator output using the square wave

which resulted in a sawtooth.

For some reason as the notes go up in frequency there’s volume loss

so I’ve scaled up the resulting sawtooth output and then

used the pitch(key input)+graphic shaper to attenuate the signal.

It works.

It’s not perfect, I’m sure it could be done better but I’m quite happy with the result.

Screenshot.

• Wow, modulating the delay time with a Wavetable oscillator, then running it through the BBD Resonator is fun!

• I have been trying to build an instrument based on basimilus for months now. I just don’t have the understanding of the modules I need to use to get my ideas to the level of how I envision it.

these are a couple of my different attempts.s ya can see I think I had this idea back in Feb. They pretty simple ideas so nothing to difficult to make but its still not as good as I know it could be with the proper skills.

• edited October 2023

Sorry for the long vid, I obviously uploaded the un edited original instead of the short I made from it. Feel free to skip through it, not that much t9 see really. I have also made different versions based on the software version of BIA. I recently emailed noise engineering to ask if they are thinking about porting their plugins to IOS . I got a pretty swift reply saying it’s not something they have planned at the moment. Its wasn’t a flat NO though so I’m staying hopeful.

• edited October 2023

After lot of trying i decided to give up on this .. curretnly it is not possible to make somethong which will be close to BIA in Drambo, cause of inability to frequency modulate anything other than sine (feedback on FM operator helps a little bit, but not really much casue it doesn;t allow continuous sweep sine -> saw -> quare, instead of that it sweeps square -> site -> saw)

All workarounds suggested here are not usable for this case. Problem with @rs2000 idea with using delay with wavetable oscillator to get FM modulation is that for BIA implementation you need 6 stages of modulation (osc6 -> osc5 -> osc4 -> osc3 -> osc2 -> osc1) but as output you take mixed outputp of all 6 oscillators, not just ouput of last oscillator .. problem is when you add after every oscillator delay stage to FM modulate next one in chain it adds noticeable delay when you mix together all oscillators - every one has more and more delay - which is totally no-go for percussive sounds where you need all 6 oscillators to be perfectly phase synced ..

So the very basic element of BIA architecture is not possible to make in Drambo for now. We really need linear FM modulation input in Wavetable oscillators, otherwise it's no-go.

• @dendy I would disagree.

The basic architecture is there and the sweeping from square-sine-saw can be reversed

simply by changing the polarity of the sweep however the oscillator shaping is a factor.

Creating the square wave and sawtooth shape is done my end but the method

I use creates amplitude drop as it increases in frequency see earlier screenshot.

Inverting the amplitude drop is almost but I had other things to focus on and

I'm wrapping my head around creating an inverting amplifier.

First though I've got to finish my mini eurorack utilities rig which

had calibration issues in regards to the VCA's which I solved last night.

A small matter of exponential trimmers needing to be biased correctly

with a distinct lack of documentation on the web.

• For the ones here at the back of the classroom, who didn’t do the homework btw, why don’t you just use WT basic shapes and modulate the shape?

• you can do something which is inspired by BIA , i am not arguing about that - i am working on my own alternative too .. but when you want to make faithful reproduction (aka clone) you simply need components which are working exactly same way like original .. you can’t do sweep from saw to square using FMoperator feedback and also pitch sweep is not ideal (you need to pitch sweep ratio in FM operator)

Again - definitely usable for making interesting drum synth inspired by BIA - but not true emulation ..

• Because the WT oscillators do not have inbuilt FM modulation which is a necessary part of the design.

@rs2000‘s earlier example using the Delay module is classic linear FM modulation so it is doable using the WT oscillators.

On my part I’m using the FM operators simply because I’m learning a lot about the maths modules and physical circuitry.

The rest of the architecture is already there in my first iteration of the BLA inspired design

and the only thing lacking is the proper sweeping of the oscillator shapes.

• @gravitas thanks, I think I understand better now