Controller for AU Host Mode

Comments

• edited February 2021

No shop sells these anymore, I've read about flaky devices that the manufaturer was never really able to fix (bad controller values sent from encoders and XY pad, even replacement units wouldn't fix them...)

A fun comment on the gearslutz forum:

• edited February 2021

@supadom No, I try to stay away from anything called conspiracy... 😏 but it does offer a lot features for about 150 Euros.

• edited February 2021

Taking my friend's LIVID CNTRL-R for a spin...

• Have you done a walkthrough of the setup with Faderfox or the LaunchControl XL? BTW, love the Dub Techno videos!

TIA…

• I haven't done a walkthrough, the set-up changes for each project/jam...but if you have questions about it, let me know and I'll try to answer :)

• edited May 2021

Thanks for the reply... Yes, I was wondering about that, since there are so many possibilities with Drambo, it's really difficult to come up with a "one-size-fits-all" setup. I read somewhere that you mostly use the buttons for muting and selecting scenes... so how are the knobs and sliders configured? Are they controlling some macros and FX sends, etc.? Perhaps you can just give one example of a typical setup.

• Here is a setup using Circuits as the controller.

• edited May 2021

Buttons are mute/unmute toggles, usually just for drums and bass. the faders control cutoff on a dedicated filter (insert effect, end of chain) for the synth channels (cutoff rather than volume so I can mix the volumes independently of the fader position). knobs really differ per jam, sometimes they are dedicated to the channel of the fader below for something specific to that synth, sometimes they control FX on the master, sometimes they are sends for the drum channel below each knob.

my projects tend to follow this pattern.

Chan 1 Kick, 2 Snare, 3 Hats, 4 Perc, 5 Sub bass, 6 Mid bass, 7 Vox/Field recording/Texture, 8-12 Synths, occasionally I add extra channels if I need them

I don't use the LCXL much anymore...tended to use it with AUM and have largely moved to Drambo for most of my jams now.

My suggestion is not to overthink the control layout / try to create a perfect master system for every use case. Just settle on core controls and let the rest be dynamic depending on what each jam calls for :)

• edited May 2021

That’s awesome! Thanks for the tips… you are right, I have been over-thinking it, got to get off my duff and just get started on some templates. 😆

• Just got one of these...

makes me wonder if op-z would fit above the sliders :D

• Please let us know how you are getting on with the Zero SL II. How do the knobs and sliders feel? Do the pads' LEDs lite up without feedback from Drambo?

TIA,

• I had the previous version (mk1) about 20 years ago... back then my main focus was on automap, it was ok but not good enough so I sold it...

as a controller it’s super flexible, imo one of the highest featured one...

will definitely share my new findings here, but here is my experience with the older unit:

knobs/sliders - nothing special, good resistance (not motorised, won’t respond to midi)

encoders - none of the Arturia Beatstep acceleration nonsense, can be customised (and actually usable) to accommodate various cases

pads (8black) - no background lights, probably the worst pads for velocity sensitive playing I have ever experienced (will be good to punch in fx etc)

buttons - can be customised for pretty much any use (toggle, momentary, responsive to midi feedback)

• Looking forward to see your setup with Drambo.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice! Love to see a video walkthrough of the setup if you get around to making one.

• So, yesterday my Zero SLMKII arrived. Overall it’s not too bad...

For flexibility I decided to create several templates (stored in the unit) which in some areas overlap to support a certain workflow.

Global controls*

• crossfader (CC0)
    • 6 transport buttons (CC57-62) - play, rec, loop buttons taking care of Drambo transport, rewind, forward buttons are used as scene selectors, stop button is unused atm (will probably map it to tap)

Semi global controls*

• 8 sliders are mapped for volume control (CC1-8)
    • 8 knobs are not pre-mapped, these will be my assignable performance related project dependent global controls (CC33-40)
    • 16 buttons on the left side - momentary buttons mapped to Drambo pads for track/scene selection (CC41-56)
    • 16 buttons on the right side - toggle buttons mapped for Drambo mixer mute/solo (CC9-24)

General controls*

• 8 encoders are not pre-mapped, these will be my assignable track specific controls (CC25-32)

Template selectors*

• 8 drum pads are used for template selection

*The CC assignment is the same across all templates, but channel assignment is dependent on the controls/template (global, semi, general).

Effectively templates 1-4 provide pages for encoders (switching Ch assignment 1-4 to gain 4 x 8 encoders) and templates 5-8 provide pages for everything  except global. (this may become more useful later with nesting, for now it’s just there in case I need more of something)

Not sure how usable this will be in practice, so this is very much a WIP template atm.

The whole exercise quickly reminded me why I gave up on midi controllers years ago... and novation... dropping new controller every 2nd week, yet can’t provide a decent editor...

• edited May 2021

Thanks for this info! Its good have the nitty-gritty about these different controllers.

One thing I've actually grown to "like" about my APC 40 is that you can't modify its mapping. At first I thought this was bad, but now I like it because it forces me to make all my projects work with the same mapping. Down the road I know that I can do a set with my projects and they'll all work. The downside though its accepting the limitations of the mapping, which can be annoying for sure. The fact that Drambo can accept so many options for mappings is a saving grace when dealing with various controllers.

• @rec

The whole exercise quickly reminded me why I gave up on midi controllers years ago... and novation... dropping new controller every 2nd week, yet can’t provide a decent editor...

That's the problem with many controllers. But the Zero SL MKII does look like a good fit for Drambo.

@quartzite "The fact that Drambo can accept so many options for mappings is a saving grace when dealing with various controllers."

Once MIDI feedback is implemented in Drambo, then we are all set. 🤞

• Do you mean midi feedback from drambo to drambo? Easy self-control would be cool.

I'm really interested in drambo streamlining sending feedback to control surfaces (to update the surface). If mappings could be set to send the value back to the same location that'd be amazing. Even better if they could be set to send back only on project load, to initialize a controller. Would save me having to set up hundreds of midi cc modules.

• edited May 2021

@quartzite No, from Drambo to the MIDI controller, RS2000 summed it up best earlier:

”Drambo doesn't support parameter feedback yet.

No matter how fancy your controller is, it will still be limited to sending MIDI to Drambo.

No LED rings, no illuminated pads with different colors, no current values on the LCD.”

• Design your own controller, not cheap but very flexible...

• edited July 2021

"what else is worth considering?"

how about an expression pedal?

BOSS has introduced the EV-1-WL, the world’s first MIDI expression pedal with Bluetooth wireless connectivity.

• edited July 2021

I had remote 25sl mk1 set up to work with Drambo. It was great from every aspect apart from pads being quite poor even when used to switch between templates.

Other than that the amount of control that can be had from this unit is staggering and not sure any other single unit that’s not pad based can compete really and even then you’ll find yourself short on knobs/sliders. Aftertouch, xy pad, mod joystick, battery/usb powered. I actually used it via regular midi and powered via a power bank.

Now I bought Circuit tracks + launch control XL both of which tick all of my boxes until Drambo’s sequencer reaches live stage level maturity. The nice thing about tracks is that different CCs are sent by the knobs in different modes. Mixer, fx or play mode will fire different CCs so they can be assigned to similar functions in Drambo ie: mixer track levels or delay or reverb sends. I’m thinking of mixing some sounds from circuit and some midi tracks driving flexi and synths in Drambo. It syncs up quite well using Audiobus.

• edited July 2021

You can plug any expression pedal into an iRig Blueboard. That’s a more flexible solution than a dedicated pedal IMO.

• plug a boss footswitch into the boss expression pedal 😁

i prefer roland/boss anyday over ikmultimedia ;)

• Don’t know man. It seems cool and trendy but I’d rather have a used Korg Nonokontrol mk1 that will cost me £30 with 4 scenes and transport buttons than this. If I put midi controller GAS to one side of course ;)

• edited July 2021

I wouldn't get it either, I am still using my old BCR2000, and waiting for the BCR32.

• That modular controller is a great idea!

It's a lot of cash for just a few controls though.

• edited July 2021

If you think Specialwaves is expensive, try https://monogramcc.com/shop/products/studio-console/

Christian Henson's review:

https://youtu.be/Br68rBLanmo